Tuesday, April 21, 2009

day two.

I know what you're thinking.  With a title like "day two", it's probably just another dull post with the same topic as yesterday.  Well you're wrong.  It's not even close to the same topic as yesterday.  I just couldn't produce a better title so early in the morning.  I'm simply too tired.

It all started about a year ago when I became an instant Stepmom. For a childless woman in her forties it was a bit of a culture shock to move into a house with two elementary school children.  Not only did I have to adjust to a lack of sleep, a higher decibel level and a never-ending mess, there was something much worse.  I never anticipated the amount of life it could suck from my body.

We thought it would be best for me to take things slow at first, but about six months ago my significant other and I decided I was ready to step up and assume my role in the family.  And what better way to break into parenting than taking on the morning routine?  I get out of bed, wake the kids, help the youngest shower and get dressed for school, serve up breakfast and send them on their way.  Then there's the in-between things (I won't bore you with the details about that now, we'll save that for another post).  After school there's always a struggle to get homework started, dinner on the table, get the kids to eat all so we can spend some quality "family time".  I never imagined in a million years that "family time" could be so draining.  I find myself looking forward to bedtime because as soon as they are all tucked in and we've completed the next chapter of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events I can finally relax. 

It's amazing, I feel as if I've aged about ten years since moving in last winter.  By 9:30 p.m. I am totally wiped out.  It's like running a marathon without sleep (not that I have the slightest clue what running a marathon in any condition feels like, but it was the first example that came to mind).  Once in a while I get a good nights sleep but I still wake up in the morning feeling exhausted.  It's been six months since I started this regular routine and my body is still rebelling.  I know it's a big change and I'd imagine this is what new parents go through when they have their first baby.  You go from years of sleeping soundly to suddenly getting jolted awake by a screaming child.  That can't be healthy for anyone, yet people have been doing it for millennia.  So why do I feel like the energizer bunny that overdosed on Valium?

No comments:

Post a Comment