Thursday, May 14, 2009

Who assigns these things?

This morning I sat down at my computer to write in my journal and found myself distracted by some outside activity. I'm usually very disciplined when it comes to my writing and am able to stay focused amidst opposing forces, but this morning I decided to surrender.



While I was typing I noticed my significant other pull his car out of the garage for his semi-annual golf outing, but as the words crossed my mind I realized how much I disliked the term "significant other". There is no question he is a very "significant" person in my life, but when coupled with the word "other" it seems to become very impersonal. I realize there are many applicable terms, but I really haven't found one that feels right. Many people use the term "boyfriend", but since I have several male friends that title doesn't seem to be sufficient enough to convey the level of our relationship. Other people prefer "soul-mate", which is only slightly better because I believe people can have many soul-mates. Some are friends, family members and even lovers. "Life partner" sounds like a business venture and "companion" is something you say when referring to your dog. Due to legal red-tape, we cannot get married right now. We can't even get engaged, so "fiancee" and "husband" are not allowed.


For now we grin and bear it when we have to introduce one another, or when someone else is doing the introductions. It seems to be an awkward situation for everyone involved. I just can't wait until it's over. But what about those people who never get married to their significant other? How do they deal with it? I think someone should come up with another name, but I don't know where to send my suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment